- 1 What is Prednisone 20 mg used to treat? Benefits of prednisone
- 2 Prednisone (Prednisolone) prescription
- 3 Prednisone 20mg uses. Generic Prednisone indication
- 4 How to take Prednisone? Prednisone 20mg dosage. Can you take prednisone at night?
- 5 Prednisone interactions
- 6 Prednisone for children
- 7 Prednisone and weight gain. Prednisone and swelling (edema). How long does Prednisone stay in your system?
- 8 Prednisone for sale. Order prednisone online. Prednisone 20 mg cost
What is Prednisone 20 mg used to treat? Benefits of prednisone
Prednisone (Prednisolone) 20 mg with systemic (pills and injections), topical (eye drops) and topical (ointment) has the following therapeutic effects:
- Anti-inflammatory effect, which consists in the rapid and effective relief of the inflammatory process of any localization and intensity;
- Antiallergic action, which is the rapid cessation of the development of an allergic reaction and its manifestations, such as spasm, edema, rash on the skin, etc .;
- Anti-shock action, which is to relieve shock in order to prevent death;
- Antiexudative action, which is to suppress the active process of exudation (effusion of inflammatory fluid from the tissues);
- Antiproliferative action, which is to suppress the active reproduction of cells in the area of damage, which prevents the formation of cicatricial thickening of the walls of organs;
- Antipruritic action, which consists in eliminating the itching sensation provoked by allergic or inflammatory reactions;
- Immunosuppressive action, which is to suppress the immune system and the creation of artificial immunodeficiency.
All clinical effects of Prednisone (Prednisolone) are important for clinical use, with the exception of immunosuppressive, which is considered more likely to be a side effect. Therapeutic effects develop very quickly, which allows you to use the drug in critical situations, when you need to literally within 5 – 10 minutes to normalize the human condition, stopping the further development of massive edema, spasm of the respiratory organs and inflammatory infiltration of the organ wall.
Since Prednisone has a very powerful effect, it is used only in severe cases when other drugs (for example, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, antihistamines, etc.) do not have the desired effect.
If it is possible to maintain a normal state and prevent the disease from getting worse, not with Prednisone, but with other, more “weak” drugs, then this should be done.
Prednisone should be used only in cases when other drugs are ineffective or a life-threatening condition has arisen (for example, angioedema, anaphylactic shock, bronchospasm, etc.) that needs to be removed very quickly.
In addition to these therapeutic effects, Prednisone can have the following pharmacological effects:
- Increases the breakdown of protein, reducing its concentration in plasma and tissues;
- Increases protein synthesis in the liver;
- Suppresses active growth in children due to increased protein breakdown;
- It leads to the redistribution of fat, increasing its deposition on the face and upper body;
- Increases blood glucose levels;
- Detains in the body water and sodium, which contributes to the formation of edema;
- Excretes potassium from the body and reduces its absorption in the intestine;
- Increases the excitability of the brain;
- Reduces the threshold of convulsive readiness, as a result of which convulsions can develop in a person more often when exposed to stimuli of relatively low strength;
- Inhibits the synthesis of its own glucocorticosteroids by the adrenal glands;
- It inhibits the synthesis of thyroid-stimulating and follicle-stimulating hormone (TSH and FSH).
These pharmacological effects are almost never used for therapeutic purposes, but since they are the basis of side effects, they are always taken into account for an adequate assessment of the state of the body against the background of Prednisone.
Prednisone tablets benefits
Prednisone 20 mg is used to treat:
- inflammation of the cornea at the eye intact mucosa;
- blepharitis (inflammation of the eyelid margins);
- allergic and chronic conjunctivitis (inflammation of the mucous membrane of the eye);
- sympathetic ophthalmia (inflammation of the membranes of the eyes because of the injury of the other eye);
- after eye surgery;
- multiple sclerosis;
- bronchial asthma;
- chronic and acute allergies (atopic dermatitis, urticaria, food and drug allergies, angioedema, toksikodermiya, hay fever);
- rheumatic fever;
- rheumatic carditis;
- chronic and acute joint disease (arthritis, osteoarthritis, bursitis, synovitis, rheumatoid arthritis, arthritic and psoriatic arthritis, scapulohumeral periarthritis, adult Still’s syndrome);
- inflammatory diseases of the gastrointestinal tract (local enteritis, ulcerative colitis);
- infectious mononucleosis (infectious disease in which increased palatine lymph nodes, liver, and there is a high body temperature);
- connective tissue disease (dermatomyositis, scleroderma, systemic lupus erythematosus, periarteritis nodosa);
- autoimmune diseases;
- acute pancreatitis (non-specific inflammation of the pancreas);
- hemolytic anemia;
- glomerulonephritis (kidney disease).
Prednisone (Prednisolone) prescription
1. The prescription for prednisone (prednisolone) tablets is as follows:
Rp .: Tab. Prednisoloni 0.001 (or 0.005)
D. t. d. N 50 in tabletae
S. 1 tablet 3 times a day.
2. The prescription for prednisolone ointment is as follows:
Rp .: Ung. Prednisoloni 0,5%
D. S. Apply to the affected areas 1 to 2 times a day.
3. The prescription for prednisone eye drops is as follows:
Rp .: Sol. Prednisoloni 0,5%
D. S. Introduce 1 – 2 drops 2 – 3 times a day into the conjunctival sac.
4. The prescription for Prednisolone Injection Solution is as follows:
Rp .: Sol. Prednisoloni 3% (30 mg / ml)
D. t. d. N 10 inamp.
S. Administer intravenously 1 to 2 times a day.
In all recipes after the letters “Rp.” the name of the medicinal form of the drug is indicated (Sol – solution, Ung – ointment, Tab – tablets) and the name of the drug is written in Latin (Prednisoloni).
After the name of the drug indicates the concentration of the active substance, that is, the dosage. On the next line after the letters “D. t.” indicates the amount of the drug that must be given to a person (for example, No. 50 intablet means that a person needs 50 tablets, and so on).
After the letter “S” indicates how to use the drug. This recipe line is for the person who will use Prednisone.
Prednisone 20mg uses. Generic Prednisone indication
Ointment, eye drops, tablets and Prednisone (Prednisolone) solution are used for a wide range of dangerous and serious diseases, occurring with severe inflammation, an allergic component and pronounced sweating of the infiltrate in the tissue, as well as thickening of the wall of the affected organ.
Each dosage form is designed to relieve the same pathological reactions with different localization. For example, the ointment is used for skin diseases, drops – for the pathology of the eye, and the solution and tablets – for the defeat of the internal organs.
Prednisone (Prednisolone) in any form is intended only for the relief of symptoms, so it should be used as part of complex therapy aimed at curing the disease or attaining stable remission. Consider the indications for use of each dosage form.
Indications for intravenous and intramuscular administration of Prednisolone
Indications for intravenous and intramuscular administration of Prednisolone solution are as follows:
- Acute allergic reactions with severe swelling, spasm and infiltration (for example, angioedema, bronchospasm, swelling and inflammation after a bite of insects or snakes, a large, itchy and painful skin rash, etc.);
- Asthmatic status;
- Bronchial asthma (severe form);
- Prevention and treatment of thyrotoxicosis and thyrotoxic crisis;
- Shock (burn, traumatic, operative, toxic, cardiogenic, anaphylactic, blood transfusion);
- Anaphylactoid reactions;
- Brain edema caused by any cause;
- Myocardial infarction;
- Acute adrenal insufficiency;
- Acute hepatitis;
- Acute hepatic failure or hepatic coma;
- Poisoning with cauterizing liquids (for example, acetic essence, alkalis, etc.).
Indications for intraarticular injection solution of Prednisolone
Indications for intra-articular injection of Prednisolone solution are as follows:
- Post-traumatic arthritis;
- Osteoarthritis of large joints (femur, shoulder, knee, elbow, etc.);
Indications for use of Prednisone tablets 20 mg and intramuscular injection of the Prennisolone solution
Indications for use of Prednisone tablets and intramuscular injection of the solution are as follows:
- Systemic diseases of the connective tissue (for example, systemic lupus erythematosus, dermatomyositis, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.);
- Acute and chronic inflammatory diseases of the joints (arthritis, including psoriatic and gouty, polyarthritis, juvenile arthritis, osteoarthrosis, scapulohumeral periarthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, bursitis, synovitis, epicondylitis, tenosynovitis, Still’s syndrome (AOSD) in adults);
- Rheumatic fever;
- Acute rheumatic heart disease;
- Severe bronchial asthma;
- Asthmatic status;
- Acute and chronic allergic diseases (allergy to drugs and foods, serum sickness, urticaria, rhinitis, angioedema, exanthema, pollinosis);
- Inflammatory skin diseases (pemphigus, psoriasis, eczema, atopic, contact, exfoliative and herpetiform dermatitis, pruritus, neurodermatitis, toksidermiya, seborrheic dermatitis, toxic epidermal necrolysis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome);
- Swelling of the brain;
- Allergic ulceration of the cornea;
- Allergic conjunctivitis;
- Inflammatory diseases of the eye (sympathetic ophthalmia, sluggish uveitis, optic neuritis);
- Adrenal insufficiency, including after removal of the organ;
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia;
- Autoimmune diseases of the kidneys (acute glomerulonephritis, nephrotic syndrome, etc.);
- Subacute thyroiditis;
- Blood system diseases (autoimmune hemolytic anemia, panmielopathy, agranulocytosis, leukemia, lymphogranulomatosis, thrombocytopenic purpura, thrombocytopenia in adults, erythroblastopenia, congenital hypoplastic anemia);
- Lung diseases (acute alveolitis, fibrosis, sarcoidosis II – III degree);
- Tuberculous meningitis;
- Pulmonary tuberculosis;
- Aspiration pneumonia (triggered by the ingestion of foreign bodies, sputum, water, tissue decomposition products, etc.) into the lungs;
- Loeffler syndrome;
- Lung cancer;
- Multiple sclerosis;
- Pathology of the digestive tract (ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, enteritis);
- Prevention of organ and tissue rejection after transplantation;
- Increased blood calcium levels in cancer;
- Nausea and vomiting with cytostatics;
- Addison-Biermer disease;
- Androgenital syndrome.
Indications for use of Prednisolone ointment
Prednisolone Ointment is indicated for use in the following diseases:
- Atopic, seborrheic, simple and allergic dermatitis;
- Simple chronic lichen;
- Discoid lupus erythematosus;
- Shoulder girdle periarthritis;
- Keloid scars;
- Dupuytren’s contracture.
Indications for use of eye drops Prednisolone
Eye drops Prednisolone is indicated for use in the following diseases:
- Non-infectious inflammatory diseases of various parts of the eye (iritis, iridocyclitis, uveitis, episcleritis, scleritis, conjunctivitis, keratitis, blepharoconjunctivitis, blepharitis);
- Allergic conjunctivitis;
- The inflammatory process in the eye caused by injuries and surgical interventions;
- Sympathetic ophthalmia.
How to take Prednisone? Prednisone 20mg dosage. Can you take prednisone at night?
Prednisolone tablets 20 mg – instructions for use.
Tablets are washed down with a small amount of water, swallowing whole, not chewed or chewed. Prednisolone tablets should be taken in the morning from 6-00 to 8-00 in the morning, strictly after meals.
If at this time it is impossible to take the drug, then it should be done before 12-00 pm, because in the morning hours Prednisolone has the most pronounced therapeutic effects.
If you can take the entire daily dose of the drug at a time in the morning, then you should do it that way. If for some reason this is not possible, then most of the daily dose (at least 2/3) should be taken in the morning, and the remaining number of tablets should be taken around 12-00 days.
At the beginning of the treatment of acute and severe conditions, you should take 50 – 75 mg (10 – 15 tablets) per day, and at the beginning of chronic diseases – 20 – 30 mg per day (4 – 6 tablets).
After the normalization of the state of the body, the dosage of Prednisolone should be reduced to 5-20 mg per day and continue to take pills.
The duration of treatment is determined by the doctor, and depends on the general condition of the person and the effectiveness of therapy.
Interaction with other drugs.
Prednisone interactions with other medications are noted only for tablets and solution. Ointment and eye drops do not interact with other drugs so pronounced that it has clinical significance.
So, Prednisone in combination with other drugs has the following effects:
- Cardiac glycosides, diuretics (non-calcium-saving) – increases the excretion of potassium;
- Antidiabetic drugs – reducing the effect of reducing glucose levels;
- Coumarin – reducing the anticoagulant effect;
- Rifampicin – reducing the activity of Prednisolone;
- Acetylsalicylic acid – increases the risk of bleeding from the digestive tract.
If Prednisolone was administered 8 or less weeks before and within 14 days after vaccination, then such immunization is ineffective. The vaccine should be resubmitted when it takes at least 8 weeks after taking the last dose of prednisolone.
Prednisone for children
In children, Prednisone is used only when urgently needed, when there is a threat to life or a serious illness that is not amenable to treatment with other medicines.
When using Prednisone tablets and Prednisolone solution in children under 14 years old, an intermittent scheme should be used, which consists in taking the drug for 3 days, after which a break for 4 days, etc. Such an intermittent scheme reduces the risk of cessation of growth and development of the child.
When using an ointment, you can not additionally carry out activities that enhance the absorption of the drug into the blood (for example, heating, tight bandages, etc.). The rest of the rules of application and precautions for children are the same as for adults.
The dosage of ointment and eye drops Prednisolone for children is the same as for adults. And the dosage of tablets and solution is calculated individually depending on body weight and age.
The initial dosage of the tablets, which the child takes within 1 to 2 days to relieve an acute condition, is calculated from the ratio of 1 to 2 mg per 1 kg of body weight. This dosage is divided into 4 – 6 doses per day.
After the acute condition is normalized, the child is transferred to the maintenance dosage of Prednisolone, which is calculated by the ratio of 0.3-0.6 mg per 1 kg of weight per day.
The daily dosage of the solution is calculated individually depending on the age and body weight:
- Children 2 – 12 months – 2 – 3 mg per 1 kg of weight;
- Children 1 – 14 years old – at 1 – 2 mg per 1 kg;
- Over 14 years old – adult dosages.
Prednisone and weight gain. Prednisone and swelling (edema). How long does Prednisone stay in your system?
After completing the course of Prednisone, people very often notice the appearance of edema on the face, excess weight in the abdomen, hands, neck and face, as well as atrophy of the muscles of the hips and buttocks. Unfortunately, Prednisolone can really provoke weight gain and muscle atrophy, which, after the end of its use, will not go away on its own and will have to make an effort to restore normal shape.
Weight can be reduced, and the muscles to train, regularly doing in the gym and eating right. There is no other way to return the form. With enough persistence in attending the gym and regular workouts, many people note that even during the course of Prednisone, they do not gain weight.
The only point that can not be controlled is the deposition of fat on the face with the formation of a moon-shaped form. However, to stop the deposition of fat on the face is really almost impossible, so you have to accept it. Some time after the cessation of the use of Prednisolone, the fat from the face will go away on its own.
As for edema, it is possible only against the background of therapy with Prednisone. After completing the course of treatment, human should not be disturbed by swelling if there is no disease capable of provoking them.
However, the deposition of fat on the face during the course of Prednisone leads to an increase in the amount of subcutaneous tissue in the cheeks, orbits and other parts, which is filled with blood during sleep, as a result of which its weight and volume slightly increase. And it is this increased amount of soft tissues that people confuse with edema.
During the day, the blood flows from the adipose tissue of the face under the action of gravity, and this “swelling” for dinner or for dinner is gone. Many people are worried about this “swelling” because they think it is a symptom of some kind of distress in the body. However, this is not true, and this behavior of subcutaneous fatty tissue on the face is the price for the life-saving treatment.
With regular workouts and proper nutrition for several months, there will be an overall weight loss, and the amount of fatty tissue will decrease in all parts of the body, including on the face. And only after that the “swelling” will begin to pass.
Prednisone for sale. Order prednisone online. Prednisone 20 mg cost
In order to buy Prednisone online, you can visit the well-known and time-tested online pharmacy of our partner. This is a Canadian pharmacy with a high level of service. Delivery of medicines is carried out worldwide. To order Prednisone 20mg or another dosage – just click on the banner below.
For a brief introduction to the prices of Prednisone 20mg for sale, we specifically provided information taken from the online store of a Canadian pharmacy.
Prednisone 20 mg Cost